Thursday, March 9, 2017

Kitchen Adventures: Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet



Recently, I tried another recipe that uses ground turkey.  I am trying to make healthy changes to the meals I cook, so I thought this Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet meal sounded amazing.  It's been sitting on my Pinterest board for a very long time.  I actually can't really remember when I put it here.  Bonus:  it's a one-pan meal.  Score!

Assemble the ingredients.  Imagining all the flavors together for this meal, I thought it would be a good idea to add black beans to the recipe.  The original does not call for these. 



Cook the turkey.  While the turkey is cooking, I peeled and chopped the sweet potatoes and yellow pepper.  I had three large sweet potatoes and used them all.  I probably would have been fine with just 2 though.  Peeling and chopping these after recently slicing my finger was an experience, let me tell you.



Next, add the yellow pepper and sweet potatoes.  Let that cook for a while.  I don't have a cast iron skillet, so I placed the lid on mine to help cook the potatoes faster.  I also added the black beans.




Cheese!  Add in the cheese and get it all nice and melted.  This didn't take long.  At this point, you would put the cast iron skillet in the oven for a while. I just placed the lid back on my pan.  It took about 3 minutes for the cheese to melt. 



Top with parsley and serve!



I don't have the exact figures available but I know this meal cost less than $10 for the ingredients.  Also, I could get about 4 servings from this recipe, so that's a pretty good deal.  After enjoying the flavorful meal, I noticed that ground turkey does not settle well in my stomach.  I'm not sure why either.  I've tried other recipes with ground turkey and have had the same experience.  Maybe I can substitute chicken next time?  Either way, this meal was delicious!





1 comment:

Mrs. P said...

That looks yummy!