Thursday, September 1, 2016

Craft Project: USA Wreath



During the summer, we celebrate our country in many different ways and many times.  I recently made a wreath that can be used as decoration for Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day.  Or pretty much any time you are feeling patriotic.  :)  This one was so simple to make too!

The Supplies:

  • straw wreath
  • wooden stars and letters
  • ribbon (you will always need more ribbon than you think)
  • pretty flowers (mine are navy blue with little white stars)


The Tools:

  • hot glue gun with glue
  • paint and brush

First, paint the wooden stars.  The letters were already white, so I didn't need to do anything with them.  The paint I used was Navy Blue acrylic.  This one here.  I also painted both sides to be sure everything looked complete.



Leaving the plastic on the wreath, I wrapped the ribbon around it.  Always remember that you will need more ribbon than you think.  One roll only wrapped about halfway around.  I glued the starting point and ending point.  Whenever I hot glue something, I always hold it for a few minutes to allow the glue time to cool while still keeping everything in place.



Next, pull off the blooms from the flowers.  For this wreath, you don't need the stems.  After determining the best place to start, begin gluing the blooms directly onto the ribbon.  I glued each individual bloom.  I like my projects to be secure.  I think I ended up with about 18 blooms.



Lay out the letters and stars.  When satisfied with their arrangement, glue.


That's it!  The hardest part about this project was waiting for the glue to cool.  Now hang that beauty and smile!  It's alright if you keep going outside to look at it.  I did...simply because it turned out better than I expected.


Side note:  everything I used for this project was on sale, plus I had a coupon.  This wreath ended up costing about $15-20.  Not bad for something I can use multiple times throughout the year.

Did you notice that my craft table and front door changed throughout this project?  That's because I started at my apartment and finished at my parents' house when I went to visit for the holiday.  :)

No comments: