Thursday, June 30, 2016

Kitchen Adventures: San Francisco Chops


Perhaps one of my favorite recipes and one I make quite often is San Francisco Chops from the Taste of Home Crock Pot Cookbook.  I love this recipe and it is so easy to make.


The simple ingredients include bone-in pork chops (the recipe calls for 4, but since its just me, I use 2), garlic clove (I always use at least 2), red pepper flakes, red wine (pinot noir is the best for this), soy sauce, and brown sugar.



First,  brown your pork chops.  While they are on the stove, make your sauce.



I've made this recipe so many times that I don't really measure anymore.  I pour some wine, add some soy sauce, sprinkle enough red pepper flakes to cover the top, then add a couple spoons of brown sugar.



One garlic clove is not enough in my opinion, so I always use at least 2-3.  I have to take a moment and share just how much I love my Pampered Chef garlic press.  This thing is awesome!


Mix all that together.  I usually spray my crock pot with non-stick spray, then place the chops in the bottom.  Pour the sauce over them.  You can cook for 7-8 hours on low, or I have found that I can cook for 3-4 hours on high with the same results.


After a while, the meat will become so tender that you can easily remove the bones and fat.  I also like to pull the meat apart a little.   The recipe calls for removing the meat and adding some cornstarch to the sauce to make it thicker.  If you do this, add the cornstarch (or flour) in little sprinkles and very slowly, whisking constantly so you don't get lumps.  I'm usually lazy and skip this step.


Serve over hot rice and enjoy with the wine you used for the sauce.  It's a little spicy and super tasty!  I love this recipe.  Also, it's really inexpensive to make.  I get 4 meals from this for about $10-15, depending on the cost of the pork.




No comments: