Friday, April 8, 2016

Kitchen Adventures: Oatmeal Breakfast Bars



Continuing with my desire to not eat out for breakfast during the week, I made this recipe a few weeks ago. These Oatmeal Breakfast Bars came from Well Plated. I love peanut butter, oatmeal, applesauce and bananas, so I was excited for this one.


After getting the ingredients all prepared, I got started mixing the dry stuff. Then, it was on to the wet stuff. At this point, it didn't look very appetizing, but did smell delicious.



Into the pan, and into the oven it went! I let it bake for about 40 minutes because I know my oven takes a little longer than usual. The hardest part of this recipe was waiting for the pan to cool so I could cut it into bars. To distract myself, I made the potato soup you saw in this post. Two adventures in one day!



Finally, I was able to cut this delicious smelling thing into bars. I decided to package them individually so I could grab and go in the morning. I thought about tasting them at that point, but I decided to wait until the morning at breakfast.


I wish I had tasted them after making them. In the morning, I grabbed my coffee and breakfast bar and headed off to work. When I took the first bite of the bar, I nearly gagged. I was so disappointed because these tasted like very soggy oat bread. They didn't even have the texture of banana bread, or the texture of a cake. Instead, they tasted like that last bit of oatmeal you don't finish because you let it sit too long. This is my honest and personal opinion. To give the recipe the benefit of the doubt, I tried it again the next day. That night, they all went into the trash. So gross.

Now, I'm a little uneasy about trying recipes for baked oatmeal. Hopefully the texture improves. I have also learned that I'm not a super fan of cinnamon, so unless I'm making a dessert, the cinnamon stays out of recipes. I thought briefly about replacing the cinnamon in this recipe with brown sugar. When I usually eat oatmeal, I always mix in bananas and brown sugar. But the texture of the bar turned me off big time. I know that I will not make this recipe again and after writing this post, I'm deleting it from my recipe board on Pinterest.

Let's call this a misadventure.



No comments: