Friday, April 15, 2016

Craft Project: Spring Wreath


A few weeks ago, I finally got to craft! I went to Michael's and picked up the final materials I needed to make a new spring wreath. If you've been a reader for a while, you know I like to craft, specifically, wreaths. They're my favorite. It is a dream of mine to one day have a wreath for every month of the year. I'm up to 5.

I had a hope that once I put this wreath on the door, the girls across the hall would finally take down their Christmas wreath. It was the last week of March, and they still had the Christmas wreath on their door. Seriously. That's really annoying.

When it comes to crafting, I like to use a card table. Since I needed to be close to a plug for my hot glue gun, I ended up having to set the table up over my coffee table in the living room. You can't really tell in these photos (my phone's camera sucks!), but it looked really funny. The table I used was a Christmas gift, and after a few months, it was christened and officially became my craft table. I got hot glue on it. :)

The first step, lay everything out and get all the tools ready.


I didn't take any pictures of the process because once I get going, I'm in "the zone" and don't interrupt that thought process. When I make wreaths, I first attach the items with craft wire, and then also use hot glue. This way, everything is secure and I don't run the risk of damaging my project when it gets stored.

After about an hour, my table looked like this:


It's amazing to me, just how much ribbon it takes to wrap a wreath. The original plan was to not use ribbon at all because of this fact and I didn't want to buy more ribbon. But after some serious thought, I decided that the wreath would look a lot better with that little touch.


The final product turned out exactly like I had envisioned and I am very happy with my bright new spring wreath. My front door is now happy and welcoming. I also have a welcome plate with owls on it at the foot of my door, so every time I come home, I smile.


Also--about a week and a half after this went on the door, the girls across the hall replaced their Christmas wreath with a springy welcome sign and cute little garden gnome. All with a similar color palette as my wreath. Hmm..... Anyway, the plan worked!

No comments: