Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Kitchen Adventures: Lemon Blueberry Loaf


I was super excited to try this recipe. I love breakfast breads. I started with this recipe from Amy's Healthy Baking. Amy's recipe called for lemon zest, but I didn't have lemons, so I skipped them. Also, I don't eat Greek yogurt, so I used regular and I wasn't going to the store to buy agave, so I used honey.



I did have a photo of the initial process, but it turned out to be terrible quality and not good for sharing. When baking something like this, it's important to mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients separately, then incorporate them. The recipe called for whole wheat flour (this is part of why it's considered a "healthy" recipe), which I used, but I think all purpose flour would be good also. Once you incorporate all the ingredients, then you fold in the blueberries.



When it came to baking, I used my Pyrex 1.5 Quart pan and made sure to spray it generously with non-stick spray. Since I know my oven takes longer to cook, I added a few minutes to the baking time, but made sure to check it so it didn't get too done. I think I added about 8 extra minutes.



Waiting for it to cool before turning it out of the pan was torture because it smelled so good! Since this was for breakfast, I did not allow myself to eat it that night. The next day, I determined that two thin slices would be sufficient for breakfast. I recommend using a serrated knife when cutting bread. It's so much easier.


The Review: I would definitely make this again. It was so yummy! However, when I do make it again, I will use a mini loaf pan because after a while, the large loaf started to get soggy because I was the only person eating on it. You could easily get about 10 servings from this loaf. I would make smaller loaves and freeze them probably. I'll try that next time.

Here's a rough breakdown of the cost:

Whole Wheat Flour: ~$1.00 (a 5 lb bag cost $2.79)
Yogurt: ~$0.90 (the big container cost $1.79 and I used half)
Blueberries: $1.00
Kitchen Staples: baking powder, honey, salt, lemon juice, milk, vanilla, baking soda

Not bad for a few day's worth of breakfast! Plus, it's another recipe to add to my collection.

No comments: