Thursday, January 21, 2016

CHR Challenge: Day Two

Day Two of the No Fear Challenge! The assignment for today was to do one thing that day at work that made you uncomfortable but was also good for your career. The whole point of this challenge is to expand the comfort zone so that you are able to take risks and go for what you want.

From Christie Mims: "Getting over the fear of change and growing your comfort zone is not a one-time activity. It's a process - the more you do it, the more comfortable (and less afraid) you will be."

Some suggestions included answering tough emails that you have been putting off, building your network, talking to your boss about problems/ideas, etc. Here is what I did:

I first sent messages that I have been putting off. These are a little difficult to send because I basically have to tell someone that their request was denied. There is also a deadline on these messages, so I'm not sure if it was because yesterday was the deadline, or the challenge action, but I sent those messages. They weren't as bad as I expected.

Also, recently, I have been thinking about joining a group at my local chamber of commerce for young professionals in our area. There is no cost to join, but I've been putting off sending in my application because it would mean going to social events where I don't know people and would have to make conversation with strangers. As an introvert, this is intimidating. However, this group would allow me to grow my network and build my professional and leadership skills. So, before I could think twice about it, I filled out the application and sent it in. Now, I've made the commitment to join, so I need to follow through. I've said many times in the past few years that I don't know a lot of people, so this is a good way to change that.

And it's a little terrifying.


Plus, I'm happy to report that even after running errands after work last night, I came home and immediately completed another 15 minute ab targeted workout. :)

No comments: