Wednesday, January 20, 2016

CHR Challenge 1: Fear of Change

Day One of the No Fear Challenge.

I will be documenting my efforts in this week long course of overcoming fears to make a change for the better this year. To learn more about the program, visit The Revolutionary Club.

Day One focused on the fear of Change/fear of the Unknown.

Christie Mims says it best: "We are creatures of routine. Same route to work, same three places for lunch, same feeling of stability. We get so used to routine that we fear change - especially big change like changing jobs or changing careers. Because of that fear, we focus on all the reasons NOT to change, and lose sight of all that we would gain by doing something different."

Creature of Routine? That's totally me. I think I've even uttered that word itself more than ten times in the last week. Only a couple weeks ago did I start to mess with my routine. I put my alarm clock on the other side of my bedroom. Big whoop. After a few days, it started to make a little difference, so I've kept it up; even though I go through the same routine, but only about 20 minutes earlier.

For this challenge, I decided to shake up my evening routine. Since the weather got really rough yesterday with snow, I didn't take an alternate route home, as suggested as an option. That would have taken me on back roads that would have, no doubt, had any attention as far as plowing, salt, cinders. So, here is what I did:

When I got home last night (after an unusual hour-long drive), instead of changing into my sweats, eating a snack, and getting all comfy for the evening (like always), I changed into my sweats, complete with a sports bra (the bra is usually the first thing to go), and did a 15 minute strength conditioning yoga workout. I didn't want to do something that was an hour long, just to avoid the whole "I did too much too soon" feeling. I hadn't done this workout in a while, so it was definitely a kick in the butt. Instead of skipping the T-stand because I always shake and it hurts my wrists, I did the pose and held it until my wrist really started to give out. Note to self: wrap wrists before doing yoga.

Usually, if the weather was bad, or I had a long day at work, or I just didn't feel like it, I would come home and not exercise at all. Not even when I have a collection of videos, a yoga mat, the Wii Fit and Balance Board, and the ab ball. I would make some excuse about not having a sports bra and skip the exercise. I received a gift card at Christmas that I used to purchase a sports bra. Now, I have no excuse. I'm sure some people would say, why not just use a regular bra? Seriously, when your breasts are so large that the cup size is not within the first 5 letters of the alphabet, a regular bra just doesn't cut it and a good sports bra is hard to find (and expensive).

So, for this first challenge, I think I did great! I felt good when I was done. I spent some time on myself before getting all comfy for the night. I didn't even sit down when I got home until after I was done. I'm sure I can keep this up a few nights a week. I'll check in later to let you know how it's going.

No comments: