Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Grow

I can't believe that I have waited so long to write this post, but I guess it's better late than never, right?

At the beginning of the year, I saw a lot of posts where the writer had selected a word for the year.  I liked the idea and did some serious thinking and selected my word to be:  Grow.  I have a fear of stepping out of the comfort zone.  I am also very shy.  In order to stay focused, I pinned a lot to this board.  These photos became a rotating desktop that I looked at every single day.  I even changed passwords to keep me motivated. 

I wanted to grow as a person, grow my business, and grow my skills.  Now that it is over eight months into the year, I think I have made progress.   I've taken classes to improve my skills and have read a lot to grow my knowledge on certain topics.  One topic that interests me is how the workplace is with so many different generations working at the same time.  I am also interested on professional development and I have made improvements there as well.

My business has done better in the last eight months than has in the last 6 years.  It's incredible how much of a difference a new environment can make.  I started meeting with a new director every week and the atmosphere and personalities are much better suited for me.  I have been working on overcoming my fears and stepping out of my comfort zone a lot.  I've made progress on working full circle, and I have set some big goals for my business by the end of the year.  This business that I treated as a hobby for so long is going to become a striving business.

To grow as a person is a little more difficult, but not impossible.  I made a conscious effort to stop and think before speaking what's exactly on my mind.  I have also been working on overcoming my shyness and putting myself out there just a little bit more.  I can do so much better with this one, but I've made progress and I am proud of that.  I take the time to remember the Golden Rule and treat others like I would want to be treated.  Also, I have been taking time to journal and write all of my thoughts down.  I don't always remember to do this every night, but I've written more in the past year than I have in a very long time.

It takes time to grow anything.  It also takes a lot of work.  However, I am very happy to report that I have made progress and I look forward to continuing to grow and improve.

No comments: