Thursday, January 30, 2014

Random Thursday: Worst Travel Experience

Is it really only Thursday?  This has been a long week.





This week's topic:





There is one travel experience that comes to mind when I think of travel experiences.  Oddly, the one that comes to mind happened during one of the best trips I have ever taken.  When I was 16, my high school Spanish class took a trip to Europe.  We visited Italy (multiple places), Paris, and England (a few places).  The whole trip lasted 2 full weeks and each day was packed with activities.

While we were in Paris, we visited the Eiffel Tower.  Of course, right?  This has become my favorite landmark.  I fell in love with the city; it was easy to see why people do.  Photos of the Eiffel Tower do not give it justice, especially when its all lit up.  This structure is amazing! 

Our class was part of a tour group that included a small group of people from Florida.  We spent the entire trip together and it was a lot of fun.  Our guide was a fierce Italian lady who walked fast, talked fast, and smoked a lot.  Since our group was so large, we couldn't all fit in the elevators together, so we split up; my group including our teacher.  We all agreed to meet the bus at north foot of the tower at a specified time.  Cool, up we went.  The view from the top was incredible.  I couldn't believe everything I was taking in.  It was incredibly windy, but that was alright.  I loved it. 

We started making our way back down to meet the bus way ahead of the time because it was busy and we knew it would take a while to get back down.  It took a lot longer to get back down than expected because it seemed like everyone went at once.  We got the meeting spot about 10 minutes later than expected.  When we got to the foot we were supposed to meet at, our tour guide and bus was gone.  They had left us there to go on to the river boat tour.  So, here was this group of about 6 teenagers and our teacher trying to figure out what happened to our group and where we needed to go.  Imagine how that was when you didn't speak the language.  Our teacher was furious!

After almost an hour, our tour guide came running up to us.  She was frantic and said how they waited and waited for us for half and hour or so and basically blamed us for being at the wrong foot of the tower (lies!).  The bus had to go on to the next tour and after she got them settled, she came back to find us.  What guide leaves part of their group behind?  Who blames them for being in the wrong spot when, in fact, they were in the right spot?

We rushed to the river boat and managed to jump on with only a couple of minutes to spare.  It was insane rushing through the city.  When we got on the boat, members of the group told us that our guide only waited 5 minutes for us and left.  Awful!  The tour was amazing and included all of the main sites with them all lit up in the evening.  It was so beautiful.  As if being left behind wasn't enough, my camera ran out of film (this was before digital) right after I took my first picture of the tower from the river boat.  Insert sad face.  I never got copies of the photos my classmate said he'd share, so all I have are memories of the beautiful views. 

The rest of our trip went off without a hitch and was one of the best experiences I ever had.  Although, I was sure to stay close to the tour guide for the rest of the trip. 

Join in on the fun here.

2 comments:

Katrin said...

Oh no, can't believe that tour guide did not wait for you! And then blaming you for being at the wrong spot? Come on! And I am so sorry that you did not have any pictures of the trip!
Thanks so much for linking up, dear!

Martha Woods said...

Yikes! And what a bummer about running out of film! But I bet you have some amazing memories of your two weeks...yunno, minus the crappy tour guide :D