Thursday, December 5, 2013

Random Thursday: Books Everyone Should Read






Click here to link up.   This week's topic:






The first book I am going to recommend is Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume.  I first read this book at age 8 and it is the only book that I have read more than 3 times.  I don't even know how I got this book because it is a young adult novel.  I think it was because the tiger is my favorite animal.  I loved this book.  It's very emotional and a great coming of age story.  The cover I chose to use is the cover from my original.  It has now been replaced because I have read it so much.  Apparently, they made a movie based on this book too.  Hmm, didn't know about that.  It wasn't very popular, but I may still want to watch it now.  In fact, I may just have to pull this book off my shelf again...




Next, if you have not read Pride and Prejudice yet, DO IT NOW!  I was intimidated by this book, but after I read it, I have no idea why.  This was a great romantic novel.  Elizabeth is a great and complex character.  Also, considering the time this book was written (1813), the complexity makes it even more spectacular.





Corduroy by Don Freeman is perhaps one of the best children's books ever written.  It has been my favorite since I first read it as a child.  A teddy bear longs to have an owner, but a missing button makes people not want him, so he goes in search for one in the department store.  So heartwarming and lovable. 



Lastly, if you love Julie Andrews (and who doesn't?) or are in the mood for a fantastic memoir, read Home: A Memoir of My Early Years.  Oh, my gosh!  This book is amazing.  As always, Ms. Andrews is frank and personable.  This memoir covers her years up until she goes to film Mary Poppins.  I enjoyed learning about her life, especially life during the World War.  Incredible.



3 comments:

M. said...

I agree about P&P. I find that classics often seem very daunting... until you get into them. It's just a matter of getting used to the language until you can read it without focusing on the words, rather feeling the story. As you do reading contemporary books. Once you get into it, though, Austen's stories are amusing and engaging.

Great list, and thanks for linking up with us!

Katrin said...

Corduroy definitely sounds like an amazing story! I will have to check it out! Books like that always makes me cry! The teddy is so adorable!
Thanks for linking up, dear!

Martha Woods said...

I love Pride and Prejudice! I've re-read it so many times.