Thursday, November 14, 2013

Random Thursday: That's Just How I Was Raised

It's time for another Random Thursday!  Wait, is it really only Thursday?  Maybe I shouldn't have taken Monday off....




 This week's topic:



Growing up, my dad worked the night shift, so he wasn't home in the evenings.  At the time, I loved reading a lot (this was before the required book reports and my disinterest in reading during middle and high school, way before my love was reestablished).  It was not unusual for you to find me at one end of the couch with a book and my mom at the other end of the couch with her book.  We could follow the show on television, and carry on a conversation with each other, all while reading a book.  This leads me to my next discussion....

My mom's family is very large.  We could have upwards of 50 people at Easter or Thanksgiving dinner, all in one house.  A hidden talent my family possesses is the ability to carry on and follow at least four different conversations at once.  In our family, if you want to be heard, you have to speak up, too.  No one is going to pay attention to your story if you don't tell it loud enough for everyone to hear.  My dad finds this ability to follow so many conversations at once really mind blowing.  He on the other hand, is unable to do that very well and has been known to leave the room for a while, just to clear his head.  :)


That's just how I was raised.

PS--Don't forget to enter the giveaway!

2 comments:

Martha Woods said...

My dad also worked nights, so that shift is ingrained in me!!

Katrin said...

That really is impressive! I would never be able to follow that many conversations!
Love all the reading! :)
Thanks for linking up, sweetie!