Sunday, September 22, 2013

Book Review: Treasure Island



Name of Book:  Treasure Island
Author:  Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island
 
Summary:  From BN.com:  Heady tale of a treasure map, a perilous sea journey across the Spanish Main, a mutiny led by the infamous Long John Silver, and a lethal scramble for buried treasure as seen through the eyes of cabin boy Jim Hawkins. An action-packed adventure story that will hypnotize young readers and entertain older ones.
While going through the possessions of a deceased guest who owed them money, the mistress of the inn and her son find a treasure map that leads them to a pirate's fortune.
 
What I Liked:  I loved the pirate story told here.  The characters were pretty well developed and this is a classic book that read easily.  Well, easier than most classics.  The descriptions of the island were incredible.
 
What I Didn’t Like:  There were times when it was difficult to keep the names and characteristics of the supporting characters straight.  I found myself back tracking a few lines to see who was being referred to.  Also, it seems that classic books like to leave at least one unanswered question.  Spoiler Alert:  Silver just leaves?  WTH?
 
Overall Thoughts:  When I added this book to my list, I wasn’t sure if I truly wanted to read it.  I’m glad I did because I enjoyed the story very much.  This is a book that I would definitely get if I ever had a son. 
 
Final Rating:  Silver Star


Recommended?  Yes, no matter if you are young, old, boy, or girl.  Read this story at least once.

No comments: