Friday, May 24, 2013

Making Bread

This past week was a week of firsts for me.  I wanted to experiment with healthy homemade goodies to keep me inspired in the kitchen.  First, there was the breakfast cookie.  This time, it was bread.

First, I found this recipe for homemade bread.  It's a great tutorial for someone who hasn't made bread without a machine before.  I was so excited to try it out, but while I was working, I began to worry if it was looking right.  This was my first time making bread without a bread machine, so I didn't really know what I was doing.  So, I started making this recipe, you know, just in case.

It turns out that both recipes turned out, so I had enough dough for 6 loaves of bread.  Recipe one went into the freezer while I worked with recipe two.  I ended up making two loaves instead of three.  It didn't hurt, the bread was just a little denser.  Did I mention that it was absolutely delicious?  Really, it was.  I think I will be making bread more in the future.  I have to, I've got dough in the freezer.  :)
 
I am no longer intimidated by making homemade bread, but I did learn that it is something you do not do on a week night after work.  No.  The whole process took over 4 hours.  Had I made three loaves, it would have taken longer.  I will save this for a Sunday project.

No comments: