Friday, May 17, 2013

Green Thumbs...and Plants...and Pots

This year, I am determined to make my tiny patio more colorful and inviting.  I am really praying for a mild summer that isn't desert hot or swampy wet.  My poppies never survived last year, so I had an extra pot that I decided to fill. 

In addition, Mrs. P. inspired me to grow some herbs of my own.  The timing couldn't have been more perfect because my work was offering a class called "Successful Herb Gardening" for free!  Yippee!  I got some valuable information from the class and picked up 5 plants.  I was only interested in about 2 or 3, but there was one in particular that was calling my name.  A very invasive plant called mint.  Intoxicating really.

After my trip to the store to pick up planters, soil, and essentials, I came back ready to plant.  While working, it became very obvious what my favorite color is.  Two green pots, green gloves, and a green pitcher (it will make an appearance later).  Haha!  I love it.


I carefully planted and realized that I completely underestimated the amount of soil I would need.  I also underestimated the size of my extra pot because I couldn't plant my mint and I had an extra begonia that needed a home.  I wasn't going to the store again because I had already spent too much, so they would have to wait.  After all of my work, here is what I get to look at and care for every day:

From left to right:  basil, chives, oregano, and rosemary.




My begonia doesn't look all that great in this picture, but it's doing pretty well now.  Do you see my little friend?  I love him.  He makes me smile. 


I plan to get some hooks so that the big planter can hang from the rail and not perch precariously on the edge.  I will do an update soon to mark the progress. 

No comments: