Thursday, July 19, 2012

Living Room Redo

If you remember from when I first showed you my living room, I didn't like how it was set up.  There was a cable hook-up that jutted out from the wall where I wanted my couch.  Well, last night, I decided to fix this problem.  I first shoved the box back into it's little hole in the wall, then I taped down all of the cords.  I made sure to tape it well so that the cords wouldn't tear the back of my couch.  Then, less than an hour later, I had a new living room!


Basically, it's all been flipped, but it makes such a big difference.  It's cozier and more welcoming this way.

Now, when I finally get an end table, it will be in the corner by the balcony door, so I won't have to worry about knocking over a lamp when I come in from the front door.  The chair and entertainment center fit nicely and will look even better when I replace it with a sleeker stand and flatter TV. 


I was concerned about my giant DVD stand, but it works where it is for now and I can still reach the thermostat behind it.  I will eventually downsize the stand and reorganize the DVDs, but that will be an expensive project as I have a TON of DVDs. 

Now, let me show you some details that make me happy.  These are the pillows that came with the couch.  I love the paisley print and the neutral colors.  It's also a very comfy couch.


Here is a little bird that I picked up at Michael's one day while browsing.  I enjoy watching the birds and thought this little guy was just too cute to pass up.


At the top of my entertainment center is my favorite lamp, my initial, a catch-all bowl I found at my favorite flea market for $3 (it's vintage milk glass!), and most importantly, my photo sign.  These photos were specifically chosen for me by my parents.  I think it is important to take time and enjoy the little things in life that make you happy.  These are some of those things.  A bonus is that the photos can be changed out later if I decide to do that.


I love this chair.  It belonged to my aunt in the 80s and she gave it to me over 10 years ago.  This chair is so comfy.  It's the perfect reading chair.  It was also Isabelle's favorite chair.  The pillows were made by my great aunt.  The "M" is for a nickname, but it actually is my middle initial as well, so I am going to see if she will make me another one with my first initial so that I can have all three.  I love how this chair fits perfectly in the corner because it is a very awkward piece.


So, that's my living room.  I have two vintage movie posters to get framed and hang on either side of the balcony door, and a mirror that my dad needs to hang above my couch.  I hope to have all of those things taken care of by the end of August. 

Does anyone know of a great way to hide awful looking electrical cords until I can get my new stand?  I can't stand to see them.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Wow, it looks really fantastic. I love that you're going to hang vintage movie posters. It's really going to add a lot to the room.