Thursday, May 24, 2012

Project Central Update: Chairs

Last night, we finished the two chairs sitting in Project Central.  Each of these chairs came from a family friend.  They were old, dirty, and sitting in the barn.  He was going to throw them into a big bonfire, but we rescued them and they are now refinished.

They had already been painted.  One pink, and the other ivory.  I will explain later why they don't match.

First, who would have thought that the materials for a seat cushion would be more in cost then any one piece of furniture located in Project Central?  It was crazy at the checkout. 

All of the materials were laid out. 



I then traced the seat onto the foam for cutting.

Dad cutting the foam with a utility blade.  If you look closely, you can see that he just finished painting my cabinet.


Then, it was time to wrap the cushion.  Mom was helping with this part.  She is trimming the fabric here.  Make sure you don't have too much fabric when it's time to wrap the cushion.  Too much fabric is too difficult to work with.  This is where the staple gun came into play.  I didn't get a picture of it because it was a heavy duty staple gun and took all of the effort I had to use it.  I finally got Dad's muscles to help.


Now, Chair One is completed:



And, Chair Two:



I am really happy with how they turned out and can't wait to use them.  Our friend is going to think we bought two new chairs.  These are almost unrecognizable.   

After completing the chairs, I took a look at my poppy pot and check it out!  They are finally starting to break the soil!  I am so excited.  I hope they grow large and pretty.

2 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Those are super cute! Good job!

Lin said...

omg those are so pretty! When I first saw that you painted the chair bright pink I thought 'um...that's SO bright' but now, with the fabric seat, it looks really great.

Nicely done.