Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Electronic Purging

I have spent the last two days (okay, maybe about 6 hours or so) purging. Electronic purging. I decided to start the year really fresh and wanted to remove a lot of things that were weighing me, and my two flash drives, down.

Let's start with my documents flash drive. It's a 3.8 GB drive and when I started, it was almost full. I knew this because the bar was turning red when I looked at my computer drives. I have no idea how much space was left on it when I started, but I do know that there is now 3.48 GB of available space after purging. That's incredible!

I started by pulling off all of the old documents that I had saved from my previous jobs in the hospitality industry. One place alone had over 4300 items. And that is after I deleted some really useless things. I decided to save all of these documents to an external disk to have as reference. You know, just in case. Then, I pulled off everything associated with the non-profit I was once president of. In the fall, I decided to step down, so I don't need those documents available at all times. They are now also on their own external disk.

I now have 4 separate external disks of information I thought would be good to save in case I ever needed to refer back to it. One for each of my last two jobs, one for the non-profit, and one for a special presentation I made for my aunt's birthday. I was on a roll...

Now, on to the picture flash drive. Oh goodness, this one was getting out of hand. I started saving digital photos back in 2003 to this thing. I also take a lot of pictures. I made sure to view how much free space I had and it read 2.61 GB. This is an 8 GB flash drive. Wow! That's a lot of pictures.

So, I started by going through each album, all 72 of them, individually and deleting any photo that was blurry, bad, or just plain useless. This took a long time to sort through. I also realized that I had a lot of the same picture saved in multiple albums. Not sure why that was. After a few hours of work, I still had 2,888 photos. But, I wasn't done. There were a lot of photos that I knew I didn't need. Ones from events I attended while working for an company I ended up hating, photos of wedding decorations I didn't need, old boyfriend, etc. I managed to get down to 64 albums instead.

Now, I have cleaned out all of the pictures from the last 8 years and got them organized. All I have to do now is start printing them. I also have a photo related post coming very soon that should be very interesting. My photo flash drive now has 4.32 GB of space available. Yippee!

Next order of business? Facebook. I have a personal Facebook account that I use to keep in touch with family and classmates. I only get on my page maybe 1-2 times per month. I am not really addicted or "into" it as much as some others. It's just not one of the things I keep up with on a regular basis.

I started by going through all of my "friends". There were people that I was "friends" with because I had worked with them at one point, but no longer keep in touch or even see. There were also some people that stirred negative energy and I don't want that in my life anymore. Since we no longer keep in touch or even see each other anymore, it was easy to delete them. I was able to remove over 30 people from my list and it felt good. It's nothing personal against any one of them. It all has to do with me and the environment I want to surround myself with.

I also deleted every album from my account. I don't consistently post photos. It's not a virtual scrapbook for me, either. I hadn't posted any new photos in over 3 years. This decision was easy. I took off all of my photos since they were all old anyway. If I ever feel like posting photos again, I will. But right now, since I don't get on Facebook that much, I don't see a point.

It is absolutely amazing how freeing this project was. I feel like I can breathe easier and really move on with my life now. I was able to remove negative energy from my everyday life just by cleaning out these things. No more comparisons, envy, or reminders of things that made me unhappy. It feels good and I am so much happier now. It was a long and tedious project, but totally worth it!

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Doesn't it feel good to just get rid of useless stuff? Even if it is just digital. I did that with photos a few weeks ago. I find that when I take photos for the blog of something like my handbag at the time it's not really a photo I have to keep. So I trashed a ton of those. :) Way to start out the new year girl!!!