Thursday, September 1, 2011

Change # 2

The second change listed in my "change" post is perhaps the biggest change I made this year. We all remember what it was like when I was unemployed and how excited I was when I finally landed a great job.
Well, after nine months with that employer, I had no choice but to call it quits. It was for my own sanity. It wasn't about the job and the actual work involved. It wasn't about all of the responsibility I had. All of that, I could handle. I was even good at it. The problem was with management and leadership. Or lack thereof.
On the day I gave my notice, it was like a big weight had been lifted and I was able to relax. When I was asked why I left, I had to be completely honest, all while being as polite and professional as possible. Without going into a lot of details, let just say that I didn't agree with the management styles and the lack of leadership.
I found out the next day that my boss was really doubting herself and I know for a fact that none of the actual truth behind whey I left made it to upper management. They basically only knew that I was leaving and was offered a fantastic opportunity.
(I'll tell you about my new job in another post since it goes along with change #4.)
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever had to be brutally honest with your supervisor even though you knew that they would take it personally? Even when what you said wasn't against anyone personally? It's tough, but it felt so good.
I am not able to relax and enjoy myself this week while I prepare for my new job, which I start on Tuesday!

1 comment:

Mrs. S. said...

I can't wait to hear about this new job!