Friday, November 19, 2010

Reflections #3

"If winter is slumber and spring is birth, and summer is life, then autumn rounds out to be reflection. It's a time of year when the leaves are down and the harvest is in and the perennials are gone. Mother Earth just closed up the drapes on another year and it's time to reflect on what's come before."--Mitchell Burgess, Northern Exposure, Thanksgiving, 1992

This reflection is really personal to me. It might be a little deep for some readers and there may be some that won't understand, but this one is about my home life.

It may come as no surprise to you, but I still live with my parents. It's not that I moved back in when I became unemployed, I just never left. I did spend 2 years away at college living in the dorms, but I came home just about every weekend. While I was away, I discovered just how much fun credit cards could be and proceeded to get myself into trouble. When I transferred to the university, I stayed at home because it was cheaper then paying for boarding or rent and it was only a 25 minute drive.

After graduation, it took 2 months exactly to land my first job and I got so excited about the money I was going to be making and started imagining my first place. Well, if you read my reflection on finances last year, you can see how bad I was. Then, I got really busy at work. I was hardly home, working all the time, etc. My social life plummeted and I still haven't gotten it to where I want it to be.

Anyway, I love my parents and everything that they do for me. I appreciate that I don't have to pay rent, pay for laundry, food, utilities, etc. I am responsible for my personal bills and helping out around the house. Being the only child, I have to be available to both parents at the drop of a hat though and that can get tiring. My mom and I are best friends and do a lot of things together. We enjoy spending time together, but we both agree that I need to leave. Dad has a harder time admitting that, though. When I was a child, he told me I couldn't move out until I was 30 years old. It was funny then, but since I am 26 now, it's getting to be not as funny anymore. :)

I really want to move out and I am getting in a much better place financially in order to do so. I really hope that this new job works out and I am able to get a place of my own and soon. I want to have a life and enjoy my own space. I have my own way of doing things and I have rooms decorated in my room. I am lucky that my family (mom, grandma, aunt) started a hope chest for me while I was in high school. When it comes time to move out, I will only have to purchase kitchen towels and a hand mixer. Everything else is packed away. I even have decor items too.

The dogs are part of this family too, that's obvious. Isabelle is my dog and we got her first almost 5 years ago. Annie technically belongs to Dad and we got her almost 4 years ago. I claim them both as mine because I feed them, bathe them, dress them, love them, etc. Although, Annie knows who her real owner is and to see her and dad together is hilarious.

I have a good life and enjoy spending time with my parents. We have a special bond. One which some people are jealous of. I have great respect for them and love them more than anything else. My family is my number one priority and will do anything for them.

But I am ready to have my own place and my own life.

2 comments:

AG said...

Getting your own place is exciting! I lived on a college campus since I was 19 and just moved off last year (because my job required it) so I can relate to the excitement of having a space of your own. Have fun in your next chapter. :)

Lin said...

Good for you hon! Everyone needs their own space & moving out is going to be a great experience for you when the time comes. It's nice that your parents are there for you when times are tough :)