Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Reflections

"If winter is slumber and spring is birth, and summer is life, then autumn rounds out to be reflection. It's a time of year when the leaves are down and the harvest is in and the perennials are gone. Mother Earth just closed up the drapes on another year and it's time to reflect on what's come before."--Mitchell Burgess, Northern Exposure, Thanksgiving, 1992

It's time for Reflections again. If you are unfamiliar with this segment of my blog, please feel free to familiarize yourself here.

The first reflection of this year is one that I failed to document last year. It is my work. Yep, I didn't reflect on this last year. I think the reason why was because it was about this time last year that I was really starting to look for another job. I wanted to get away from where I was and start something new. I only stayed because I didn't want to burn any bridges and/or get caught looking for a new job. Obviously, I wasn't going to say anything to my boss until I had an offer.

Now, a year later, I am currently unemployed. This is not something I thought would happen to me at the age of 26. I have lost count as to how many jobs I have applied for both in my area and surrounding cities and states. I think it is over 150 by now. I have had 5 interviews since June 2010 and I have one scheduled tomorrow morning and a phone interview on Thursday. Job hunting is very exhausting. I have revamped my resume twice already, and I think this new version is the best it can be.

I have applied for positions that don't exactly fit into the field I chose to study in school. I have been looking into all of my interests and skills and have been applying to any job that interests me. The reason being is because I am unsure if I want to pursue the events field again. I feel like I got burnt out on it at my last job and I don't know if its for me. I know I am good at what I "do" or "did", I guess, but there are times when I wonder why I got into the business.

Maybe events should just be a hobby, or second job of mine. Something I can do in my spare time. Maybe take on 2-4 weddings a year and let it go from there. I do know that I want something consistent with regular hours. Something that allows me time to pursue my interests and the ability to enjoy my weekends. I did not like being on call 24 hours a day and all weekend. That got old real quick.

So now, I search for work every day, take care of the dogs, do some self reflection, evaluate my skills and interests, and keep the house clean and organized. I do enjoy not having to set the alarm clock. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, so my days aren't exactly a total bust.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, 150 applications. You are due for some good luck!

Gwen said...

I'm praying for you my friend! XOXO