Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Mascara Experiment Part 1

This is the project I have been working on for you all.

Many times, as a Mary Kay consultant, I have been told that I am just biased when it comes to makeup products. Well, I have decided to do an experiment on the one product I will not leave the house without wearing--Mascara. So, today I have 3 reviews for you. I will continue to do these until I have tried every mascara out there. Really, I am going to do this.

Before I get started, let me say that I have decided to do this experiment on my own and have not received any free product or compensation for a review. I also have given each mascara at least a 3 day trial.

First up--Great Lash Mascara by Maybeline--$5

For so many years, this mascara has been known as the best around. I originally bought this to use for my 80s costume, because it was the most popular mascara in the 80s. I bought this is Very Black and here is my review:

Likes:
The packaging hasn't changed in about 20 years, the pink and green colors are very distinctive.
The brush is narrow, which made it easier to get to my bottom lashes
The handle wasn't too long or too short, which I really liked because I was able to control the application process easier.

Dislikes:
This clumped my lashes together so bad, it looked like I had spider legs attached to my eyes.
This mascara also made my eyes itch really bad.
The smell is very strong and stinks.

Overall: This mascara made my eyes itch too much and clump together horribly. I did not like this mascara and haven't used it since the first week of November.

Next--Lash Blast Length by Cover Girl--$8


There are many different types of Lash Blast mascaras and this one is supposed to make the lashes appear longer.
Likes:
The brush is very flexible.
Application was smooth.
Narrow brush made getting the lower lashes easier.

Dislikes:
It actually looked like I didn't have any mascara on at all (which is not good)
I had to do at least 3 coats to get any results at all.
Overall: I didn't like this at all because it looked like I didn't have anything on at all. My lashes sort of disappeared and that is not cool.

Finally--Colossal Volum' Express by Maybeline--$7



Likes:
The brush is big and fluffy and separated every lash.
Makes my lashes look thick and full.
Does not clump with normal application.

Dislikes:
This mascara stinks! If I move really quickly during the day, I catch a whiff of this mascara.
The handle is very short and a little difficult to control.
Overall: I would recommend this mascara of the three listed today because of the overall effect it gives. However, the smell is horrible and that would make my shy away from it.

Well, there you have the first part of my mascara experiment. You can see that these choices are for those who are budget conscious. These reviews are my opinion and no one else's. I hope you enjoyed this round and continue to follow me through this experiment.







5 comments:

Lin said...

I love that you're doing this! For the past 6 years I've stuck to Mary Kay's Ultimate Mascara in Black/Brown & it's never done me wrong.

But I've always wanted to try new mascaras & see if I like them better but I'm cheap so I wont, ha ha. Your reviews are definetly going to come in handy, thanks!

The Pink Chick said...

I love your reviews! I adore trying new mascara, so it is always nice to see reviews of ones that I am considering trying!

Mrs. S. said...

What a great idea! I switch mascara all the time...right now I am back to Great Lash and it is not my favorite. Try the Lash Blast in the orange packaging...I liked it, but I want to hear what you think of it!

Gwen said...

I seem to always go back to my favorite from Clinique when I switch. We all have loyalties to one brand. LOL!!! XOXO

AG said...

I loved your reviews. I hate when mascara stinks, too. I change my mascara A LOT--and go through phases with different brands. Currently, I'm in love with Laura Mercier (from my sephora sampler set) and I also like Urban Decay. My old stand by is the pink and green one but I only started using this about 2 years ago. Weird right?