Friday, September 11, 2009

I Remember...

On September 11, 2001, I was sitting in my Psychology class with two of my friends having a class discussion. We were teasing our teacher, who happened to be our track coach. It was my senior year of high school and I was feeling really good.

About halfway through the class, our school librarian came running into the classroom and announced that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. The entire class got silent and our teacher excused us to go to the library and watch the newscast.

It was in the library, surrounded by half the school, that we learned the plane had been high jacked. We heard that another plane had crashed into the pentagon. The teachers tried to hold classes, but the whole school was too devastated to pay attention. We were excused if we chose to go to the library instead.

I sat there for hours, watching the television. I saw the second plane crash into the other tower and I saw people jumping from the windows. It was too much to bear. We all just sat, speechless and in shock. No one in the library spoke above a whisper while we watched. I couldn't believe it was happening.

That night, after cheerleading practice, I went home and the story was all over the news. I watched with my mom (my dad worked nights then) and we sat in silence for a long time. Mom mentioned to me that it was just like the Kennedy shooting. She still remembers that day so well. This was our Kennedy. I new that I would never forget this day, just like the day of the Oklahoma City bombing. I was 9 years old when that happened and still remember sitting at my best friend's (Mrs. P) house discussing the horrible event.

Every year, my favorite radio station plays a tribute to the September 11 victims. I get chills every time I hear it. Nickelback's "Savin' Me" plays in the background of the 911 calls made on that day. It's heartbreaking to hear those voices, to remember the newscasts, to be shocked into silence. I cry every time (and I am not one who cries easily). I see the photos of ground zero and heart breaks.

I will never forget September 11, 2001.


No comments: