Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No Wonder Women Have Body Issues

So, I opened my computer and decided to do some searching for vintage ads with women. I am enjoying my chips and dip when I come across this:


No wonder women have body issues. This add is from 1957 and is targeted for girls and teens who are too "chubby" to fit into regular sizes. Can you believe it? What exactly is a regular size? And we thought it all started with the "Supermodel Era" (i.e. 1970s, 80s, 90s). Wrong.

Anyway, I felt so bad (not really) and went to the kitchen to grab 3 Oreos and enjoyed every bite. Geeze. Some may ask: Since when is a size 10 big? Well, since 1957 it seems.

How do you feel about this? It really bothers me. Some of the most beautiful women I know are larger than a size 6. (myself included :))

Just as I am finishing this post, I glance at the TV and see a Dove ad from their Campaign for Real Beauty. At least some marketers have theirs heads on straight.

5 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

I agree!!

Katie said...

WOW.

deannascraps said...

Chubbies? wow

Not Your Average Belle said...

Right there with you! I call myself cubby sometimes as a joke, but it sucks that companies would actually call me that!

Medicated and Motivated said...

A. I didn't even know Lane Bryant had been is business that long.

B. Chubbies? Seriously? I can't believe they used that word. I bet they didn't get much business back then. I guarantee you a man was doing their marketing.